Two fun things happened last week: I made new friends (the more exciting of the two!) and I toured "Little India" with them (Cara and Lisa to be more specific). Both C & L are from the states, moved here within the last 2 months and are playing the role of "expat wife" while they're husbands are working - so in a nutshell, they are me :-) There's something about meeting people in the exact same position that I'm in that make things just that much better! In addition to C & L, I've met a few other girls (some through church) and my weeks have started to fill up fast! Those of you who know me personally know that I love to be surrounded by friends. I'm by no means a loner - I totally live by the "more the merrier" motto - so 5 weeks of semi-solitude were really starting to take a toll on me. Anyway, this is such a HUGE blessing to me and truly an answered prayer!!
So, moving on to the Little India (LI) tour...it was great! There's this company here, Singapore Walks, and you sign up for a tour with them and you, well...walk. Our original plan was to take the MRT (train) to LI and just walk around, but I am so thankful that we decided to do the tour instead because we saw and learned about so many things we wouldn't have seen otherwise. The tour started with a walk by the shop houses (literally named for the fact that there are shops on the ground level and a houses above them), followed by a look at the many flower stands where fresh flower necklaces are made for various celebrations (welcoming someone to Singapore, birthdays, weddings, etc.) and fresh fruit and vegetable stalls. After that we were off to the Little India Arcade where we learned about henna (the traditional hand paintings you see, usually done for a bride on her wedding day), tasted traditional Indian sweets and watched a lesson on how to tie a sari (I was the model!). We stopped by Thandapani, one of the best spice stores in Singapore then made our way to our final destination, the Sri Veerama Kaliamman Temple, a Hindu temple primarily for the worship of Shiva's wife, Kali. As we entered the temple we checked out its three main alters with Kali in the middle and her two sons, Ganesh (the elephant god) and another whose name I don't remember, to the left and right of Kali. Anyway, I have never in my life seen a temple like the one we were in. The whole thing was completely fascinating to me, but also, nothing short of heart breaking (at least in my opinion) to see people in there truly worshipping these gods among the many others depicted inside the temple. While the worshippers in the temple paid to have their prayers submitted to their gods, I said my own silent prayer to the one, true God I believe in and thanked Him for being my personal savior! Once we left the temple the tour was complete and we were free to go. We had such a fun time that planned another tour for this week (tomorrow, actually)!
Suprisingly, this is where they filmed "Big Trouble in Little India"...the highly un-publicized sequal to Kurt Russell's "Big Trouble in Little China".
ReplyDeleteThis post was so Sari! Just Kidding. If you want to see more about Kali, watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom!
ReplyDelete